GRADOVI (sing. Grad) - Burgs are fortifications from the medieval and Ottoman period, and are mostly built in stone. Some of them consisted of towers and fortresses, while others only had towers and /or bastions. Most of them were constructed during medieval Bosnian kingdom independence (between 13th and 15th century). Smaller number, located in Central Bosnia, can be dated back to 12th century and those represented the core of Bosnian sovereignty and were often residential fortresses of Bosnian nobilities (Bobovac, Kraljeva Sutjeska i Visoko). In the Middle Ages all over the area of today’s Bosnia and Herzegovina numerous fortified cities and towns (burgs) were built, most of which served as a defence shield against hostile intruders. After being taken over by the Ottoman armies they were mostly transformed into military barracks and guard facilities. Later, with the decline of the Ottoman Empire, they were fortified, reconstructed and broadened in order to secure the Ottoman ruled area.
Fortresses of the Bosnian feudal lords were also called Gradovi (sing. Grad – today the word Grad means a town, a city).
In the Middle Ages , fortified towns - burgs were mostly built on the natural access roads to parishes, along the rivers and important traffic communication. Usually they take strategically important natural high grounds which dominate the surrounding. Most of Bosnian burgs have irregular ground plans, which were highly incorporated in their natural surroundings. In the medieval period captains of those fortified towns were called kaštelan [kaʃtelan], and in the Ottoman period dizdar.
ORAŠAC is a medieval town - burg which belonged to the Parish of Hum, and later it was an Ottoman town - burg, a part of Captaincy of Ostrovica. It is situated on a steep hill above the village of Orašac. It is 2 kilometres airline form here. The fortification was expanded between 1703 and 1730, and along with the 8-meter watchtower it was fortified with walls which are partially preserved until now. Most buildings and the mosque that used to be within the walls were built during the period of Ottoman rule, but now lie in ruins. At the Ottoman period the Orašac fortress’ dizdar had 60 nefers - soldiers and sergeants in command . In 1833 the fortress was equipped with three cannons.
Some local people claim that Orašac was the home of Budalina Tale, one of the most prominent figures of our national epic.